Hello everyone and welcome back to #alexjostories! No, it’s not a page from my diary, it’s a brand new article about the good aspects of having a diary, for the: me, myself and I category. For a long period of time, like for years and years, I always had a diary. It was like a little speechless person that listens to everything that you say and doesn’t judge you. It’s always there when you need it and for all aspiring authors out there is a great way to keep your ideas and your future plans. So, buckle up and get ready to buy a new little agenda that is going to be your best friend.
I started keeping journals when I was around 7 years old. Basically when I knew how to write. I didn’t write important things in the beginning. At that time they were important, but looking back at what I wrote were just childish stuff. I realized how important and useful they are way later. When I went to a summer camp in London at UCL, we had various seminars with English teachers. I told one of them what were my plans for the future at that time and that I want to become a writer. She said that keeping a diary is one of the best things that I can do because it helps my writing style and grammar a lot. Why? Because you exercise and exercise without necessarily realizing.
Let me give you 10 reasons why having a diary is one of the best things you can do
- You can call it whatever you want. Your journal can be Bae, Bob Dylan, the new employee at the supermarket which is kinda cute, or even your boss. Whatever you desire, you can name it and will never say no.
- Journals don’t judge like people do sometimes. You see, having a journal is like having a speechless best friend. You tell them everything you have in mind and they are like: Ok! What’s next on your mind? Tell me everything because I am here to listen.
- You can see exactly what your plans were years ago and how your life is going now. You know that things never go as planned. It’s super interesting to see that you wanted to become an international singer and you didn’t even have a voice. You’re like: “Oh, look 6 years ago I wanted to become James Bond, now I am a lawyer. Close enough!”
- Journals an expression of your true self. Sometimes people change when they are with others, due to emotions, stress, various aspects, but when you are writing in your diary it’s just you and yourself, so that diary becomes your mirror. It’s like a painting of yourself, a self-portrait.
- You can improve your writing skills. Trust me it works! Done that since I was 7, I definitely improved a lot. That is the basic rule of writing: write, edit, write, edit, write. Doing it with your thoughts and feelings in a journal is super beneficial from every point of view.
- Life changes you. You definitely see how much your life has changed since a certain period of time. You can see how the people around you have changed. If they are still there or not. How your mental state has changed. It’s interesting to see the different aspects of your life!
- When time goes by you have a glimpse of the past.
- You can make it really artsy if I can say so. You can put pictures in and tickets from places, things that can make you remember the situation you were in at that time.
- You don’t need to write every single day. This buddy is for your thoughts and emotions. He is there for you no matter what and it’s there whenever you need it.
- Words are the most powerful thing and with that, I hope I said it all.
I hope I convinced you guys that keeping a diary is not a childish thing. Keeping a diary is a way of keeping your memories with the help of words. It’s such an amazing feeling to see where have you been in the past and where you are now. All of you guys should get a diary and write every little thing that you do because it is important. Have an awesome week guys, enjoy every little moment and I’ll #seeyousoon!